If there’s one thing I know people do, it’s complicate freelance writing. I know because there was once a time when I was a totally inexperienced when it came to finding any sort of freelance writing jobs for beginners. Seriously guys, when I started, I had no idea what I was doing.
And unfortunately, the further I looked into freelance writing, the more overwhelmed I got: build a fancy website, curate a portfolio, guest post on blogs, send cold emails….
Uhhh, no thanks. Not my jam.
Where do you find freelance writing jobs for beginners then? You might be wondering.
If you’ve been around for a while on Hustle and Hearts, you probably won’t be too surprised by my answer…
Upwork, of course!
Upwork is the platform that allowed me to make $453 in my first month using it, and $1005 in my second. And for the record, when I started, I had absolutely no experience with previous client based work. In fact, I would say freelance writing jobs for beginners is probably an Upwork speciality.
If you’re on the hunt for freelance writing jobs for beginners, here’s 16 reasons why I always, always, always recommend Upwork:
1) You don’t waste time going from job board to job board seeking out jobs. Everything is on one convenient platform for you.
2) All your communication stays organized with the use of Upwork Messaging. No shuffling between emails.
3) When you’re looking for freelance writing jobs for beginners, Upwork also provides categories outside of freelance writing that are perfect for beefing up your profile. Perhaps try getting a couple hours of V.A. work under your belt? Or maybe you can help someone build their Instagram account? The more testimonials and work experience you have, the better it is for building your Upwork profile, which will often lead to more job opportunities.
4) Receiving payment for the work you do is super easy, making tracking your income a breeze (a real bonus when tax season comes along).
5) Clients indicate the level of experience they’re looking for when they create a job posting: entry, intermediate, or expert. This makes it super easy to spot the perfect freelance writing jobs for beginners!
6) It doesn’t cost anything to set up an Upwork profile. This is a 0 risk way to start a business.
It doesn’t cost anything to set up an Upwork profile. This is a 0 risk way to start a business.
7) Every single day there are new jobs posted on Upwork, making it almost impossible to ever run out of potential projects.
8) Upwork keeps track of all your hours worked, projects completed, and client reviews, meaning all your experience is always tracked for you, without you having to lift a finger!
9) Never worry about a contract falling through or a client refusing to pay. Upwork takes care of all that for you with their protection services.
10) You don’t need to waste time on outside marketing efforts, like building a website or creating a portfolio. There are new, high quality freelance writing jobs for beginners posted on the platform on a daily basis.
11) Remember, just because you start your writing career on Upwork doesn’t mean you’re tied to the platform forever. It’s a great starting point to build your experience, connections, testimonials, and portfolio. Think of it as getting paid for your training.
12) At the same time, you can absolutely stay on the platform for as long as you want. Plenty of successful freelancers use Upwork as their primary source of jobs long after the entry level phase, including me!
13) It’s a great place to form connections. I’ve received job recommendations from clients I initially connected with through Upwork.
14) If you want to be a writer, but you don’t have a lot of experience, this is a great way to get paid for your writing as you develop your voice. Instead of posting on your own blog for free, you can write for someone else who only has the budget for a beginner.
15) Freelancers are able to rate their experience working with a client, meaning other freelancers can review a client’s past experience with freelancers before entering into a contract with them, helping you to avoid working with difficult clients.
16) It’s a legit way you can start making money online today. And, if not today, then probably next week! 😉 Like I said, I brought in $453 in my first month, and that was as a complete beginner.
So, did I convince ‘ya?
Truly guys, I think this is absolutely, undeniably the best way to get freelance writing jobs for beginners. In fact, if I could go back and do everything over again, I know for certain I would still find myself on the Upwork platform.
Having said that, I had my fair share of mistakes as an Upwork beginner. If you’re someone who is looking for freelance writing jobs for beginners, I’ll quickly mention that I do have an ebook coming out on how to build a freelance writing career on Upwork.
If you’re interested, and you want to avoid some of the mistakes that I made when starting out, this book is for you! It’ll help you get to where I am faster, and with a lot less bumps in the roads.
If you’re ready to start making some money online today, I’ve got your back! Just pop your information down below, and I’ll let you know when the ebook is available (plus you’ll get a discount on the book for being on my email list!).